Roula Pollard, a poet and writer, also using the pen name “Roula Melita” was born on the island of Santorini. She studied History and Archaeology at Athens University and obtained an M.A. in Classics at Leeds University. From 1975 to 1998 she lived in England and worked as a teacher of Modern Greek Language & Greek Culture at Wakefield College and Joseph Priestley Institute of Higher Education in Leeds. As Literary Promoter, she promoted English and Greek poets in English universities, colleges, Poetry festivals, primary and high schools, Writers and International Associations. She participated in prestigious English and Greek Poetry festivals. Her first short story was published at 13, while her first poetry collection was released when she was a University student.
ACHIEVEMENTS & PUBLICATIONS:
- Three collections of poetry published in Greek: “Presence”, “Points of Silence”, “The Birth of Beautiful Time”. Her 4th poetry collection “Continents of Love” will be published in winter 2016.
- Participated in Poetry Festivals : Patras Poetry Festival 1986, Bradford European Poetry Festival 1989, Leeds International Poetry Festival 1990, Manchester International poetry festival 1990, Otley Literary Festival 1992, Women’s Wakefield City Festival 1994, Bretton Hall Poetry Festival, 1995, Dublin International Festival, 2001
- Wrote numerous articles on contemporary Greek, English and American poets and artists (Sylvia Plath, Henry Moore, Nekeforos Vrettakos, Machi Mouzaki, Dimitris Layios e.a. ) published in Greek and English literary magazines.
- Translated an anthology of Plath’s and Ted Hughes’ poems into Greek, and presented a series of broadcasts about Sylvia Plath’s Poetry on Athens National Radio ERT, 1987.
- As a Literary promoter, organized Poetry readings for well known English poets in West Yorkshire, 1988 – 1997 (Carol-Anne Duffy, Hugo Williams, Sylvia Kantaris, Michael Horovits, Simon Armitage, Ian MacMillan, e.a ). She has promoted more than 100 poets, writers, musicians and painters.
- Organized painting workshops for children with special needs – painter Kathy Lancaster, Wakefield City Library, 1991.
- Co-operated with painters ( Kathy Lancaster, Angela Bower, John Harrison, David Wright, e.a. ) for the production of posters and sets for Greek International festivals in Leeds, Wakefield, Manchester, 1991.
- Broadcasted about Greek music and Civilization – BBC Radio Leeds and Greek Radio, Manchester.
- Included into “INTERNATIONAL WHO IS WHO IN POETRY AND POETS” Encyclopedia, Cambridge Publications, England (1990-1996).
- Her poems are published in more than 15 Greek and International Poetry Anthologies, 1985 – 2016.
- Organized numerous Poetry readings and presented books at the “ Art Gallery Café “ Voula, Athens.
- She raises awareness internationally on the return of the Parthenon sculptures from the British to the Acropolis Museum, as member of “ Greece Needs Love “ and also for the return to Greece of “ the Classic Olympic Games “
- For the last 30 years she raises awareness on “Environmental issues” in co-operation with college students, local environmental groups and associations. Has written a number of poems about critical environmental issues.
- Project 2016: in co-operation with the Professor of Astrophysics Xenophon Moussas, Athens University, on “ The Mechanism of Antikythera “.
- She has been invited to participate in International Poetry Festivals in 2017, representing Greece, and also to lecture to students.
- Board of the committee for “ Feelings International Artists Society”.