MBIZO CHIRASHA ( Zimbabwe)
MBIZO CHIRASHA Creative, Artistic, Activism and Literary Arts Projects: For Human development-HIV/AIDS Interventions, Social Change, Activism through Arts Projects, Artistic Collaborations, and Fellowships.
TARGETED STAKEHOLDERS: Culture Centres, Arts Organisations, Writers Schools, Non-Governmental Organisations, Government Institutions, Youth Institutes, Creative Societies, Cultural and Funding Organisations.
INTRODUCTORY MESSAGE : I am a major contributor and stakeholder in the arts ,creative ,literary, human rights , freedom of expression ,literacy , advocacy through arts and cultural scene in my country Zimbabwe ,African continent and the globe . I found it necessary and even more beneficial to introduce myself , to make known my previous creative arts projects ,my most recent creative activism interventions so that I can be included in and by reputable global artistic , creative and cultural databases , to be invited to participate in important creative and cultural spaces to further my career and share my vast creative experiences . I can participate in any artistic ,creative activism for peace ,and literary arts program through writing of stories, blog articles ,opinions poetry and essays. I also facilitates and implements cultural and creative projects , organize and curate book fairs, arts events ,reading nights ,performances events and skills development sessions. I am looking forward to collaborate and benefit from mobility funds , fellowships , scholarship ,publicity and writer/artistic in residence programs opportunities and also share my creative knowledge experience as well as learn from other artistic and creative communities. I look forward to participate immensely in the development of creative arts strategies for book fairs , arts festivals , fellowship projects , Writers in libraries and Writers in Schools Projects . I can honestly contribute practically through Arts Activism concepts. Creativism , Creative resistance or arts activism is today’s global developmental landscape to foster social/ political change and advocate for human rights ,equal opportunities and freedom of expression through creative , artistic and literary interventions .
PROJECTS AND INTERVENTIONS by MBIZO CHIRASHA:
- THE ZIMBABWE WE WANT POETRY CAMPAIGN:
(NewZimbabwe.com/mbizochirasha ( was founded in June 2017 to voice against political instabilities , dictatorial tendencies , abuse of human rights and stifling of freedom of expression through the use of poetry , flash fiction and short story. The Mugabe –led regime destroyed Zimbabwe through corruption , embezzlement funds , political violence and thus subjecting the innocent citizens in abject poverty , yoke of misery and violence , hence the formation of the Zimbabwe We Want Poetry Campaign to add mojo to many other powerful voices of change and political transformation in Zimbabwe , Africa and then the International community. So far the Campaign is working with more than 1000 members from around the world who are the Brave and Solidarity Voices of the Campaign from Zimbabwe into Africa to Pakistan , India up to the United States of America.
- CURATORSHIP OF THE ZIMBABWE WE WANT POETRY CAMPAIGN – the Zimbabwe We Want Poetry Campaign is hosted by Mbizo Chirasha who is its Founder and originator of Facebook (facebook.com/100thousandpoetsforpeace-zimbabwe ) under the name 100 Thousand Poets for Peace- Zimbabwe . Poets and Writers join the Facebook at first ,they then post their poems and stories according to the thematic areas . The poems are then compiled into journals that will be then published in blog sites ,literary arts journals and International Magazines. The 100ThousandPoetsforpeace- Zimbabwe on Facebook is also a platform for writers news , mentorship, sharing , discussion , networking and writing .
- CREATIVE RESISTANCE ACTIVITIES OF THE CAMPAIGN: a) Brave Voices Poetry Journal(http://tuckmagazine.com/tag/mbizo-chirasha/) , it is the soul and the rhythm of the Zimbabwe We Want Poetry Campaign .The Journal is a published in partnership with the Tuck Magazine ( the International Magazine of politics , human rights and Arts in Canada) , we have so far published more 50 brave voices journals with more 1500 poems contributed by more than 300 poets and story tellers from around Zimbabwe and around the globe .The Brave Voices Poetry Journal and the Zimbabwe We Want Poetry Campaign has become the hub of freedom of expression and the nerve centre of creative resistance through literary arts and verse. Since August 2017 we have touched on several issues that resonates with African crisis – political violence , dictatorship , gender violence , sexual and reproductive rights , human rights abuse , poverty , corruption ,hunger and election rigging .
- c) ONLINE WRITERS MENTORSHIP PROGRAM- The Zimbabwe We Want Poetry Campaign has since started a powerful skills and knowledge development program to enhance knowledge sharing ,networking and writing skills among established , middle career and budding writers. It is a collaborative effort of the Zimbabwe We Want Poetry Campaign and a creative luminary Tracy Robinson ( Tracy Yvonne Breazile ) from Georgia United States of America, Ms Robinson is a curriculum developer ,literary arts curator ,critic ,poet and a teacher . She produces the content of the mentorship course and the leaders of the Campaign Project curate , distribute and moderate it . A list of poets and writers from across Africa are benefiting from this Intensive and flexible writers course. More than 100 young writers are benefiting from this intervention and Poets are experiencing positive change.
- d) The Poetry Collection/ Anthologies – the Zimbabwe We WANT Poetry Campaign has developed a e-book publishing concept to archive and publish the brave voices and solidarity voices into book collection that can be read by politicians , students , women and the youth across the We also want to promote poetry and literature of resistance across the globe and to foster the visibility of young writers , arts activists and poets to the world. The important message of the poets and writers has to be respected , disseminated and promoted for the best the present and future generations. The book collections are derived from the Brave Voices Poetry Journals we publish in sets monthly. The following are book collections projects published and in progress,
- i) INSIDE DISGRACELAND ( Vol One-(“INSIDE DISGRACELAND’ – a poetry collection of a myriad of voices who are championing political , social and economic change through word spears mainly in Zimbabwe and the brave voices traverse further into African countries and all around. Zimbabwe, a beautiful country, blessed with mineral wealth, endowed with natural resources and mystic wonders; today it is a country ravaged by poverty whose general populace scavenge for decent meals and lives in foreign countries. The poverty and moral decadence perpetuated by Mugabe’s despotic and his ZANU PF fat cats have shrunk the once fertile dreams of this and coming generations. The dream of a peace-loving Zimbabwe will take time to shape up. We need a renewal and a rebirth. Zimbabwe like any other country is mired by poor leadership and harsh economic arthritis bred by the syphilitic autocratic tendencies by the regime that has since looted everything from trees to diamonds except for only road names and cemeteries. Our pen is sharper than the sword. This testifies our for the quest for freedom , peace , respect of human and citizen rights, end of dictatorship and the rot of corruption in Zimbabwe , Africa and beyond(.c) 2018 , (the Zimbabwe We Want Poetry Campaign E-Poetry Collection Series Volume 1 , Edited by Mbizo Chirasha), acaciabookstore.com/home/24-inside-disgrace-land
- ii) When the Baobab Falls , the Earth Sneezes : Tribute to Morgan Tsvangirai -poetry collection is eulogy to the painful demise of the paragon of political change in Zimbabwe . Save goes down the memory lane of each and every Zimbabwean as an icon of democracy who tamed the tyrannically beast that lived in Mugabe . He is leading pioneer of the multi-party politics in Zimbabwe. During his tenure as the prime minister of the 2009 government of national unity ,the Zimbabwe economic made a meteoric rise . He is remembered through this collection bravery ,political resilience , fight for democracy and social change . This collection is celebration of his entire life and his legacy of democracy and political change. The collection resonates with his passion of the respect of human rights and freedom of expression.
iii) When The Poets Speak Open Your Eardrums( Zimbabwe We Want Poetry Campaign Vol2 is very vital in the creative and resistance processes of the Campaign because it marks and celebrates with the Zimbabwean masses the fall of the despotic and dynastic Mugabe led regime. The collection is in the compiling and is due for the publication in 2018.
- iv) Africa Poetry Collection (52 COUNTRIES, 250 POETS, 750 POEMS) – The Zimbabwe We Want Poetry campaign is collaborating with publishing houses in America and East Europe for the publication of the inaugural all Africa ( 52 countries ) poetry collection . The book project will be published by an American publisher and it is coordinated by Mbizo Chirasha and Fanhedrin B. Shehu . It touches on the successes and crisis of Africa and its people since the turn of the century .
- e) Word Guerrillas Cafe – this a mobile poetry reading and Literary Arts forum intervention. The mobile poetry CAFÉ complements the Creative Activism activities by taking poetry from the page to the stage to further communicate freedom of expression , human rights , gender rights , artistic rights and political change through the use of spoken word and performance poetry . The WORD GUERRILLAS CAFÉ will be also organizing a series of the Zimbabwe We Want Poetry Campaign page poetry readings in Southern Africa ( Zimbabwe , Zambia , Malawi , Botswana, South Africa , Tanzania , Mozambique, Namibia). Performances will include griots, resistance poetry, poetry slams, poetry book launches and poetry symposiums.
- CREATIVE LEADERSHIP AND ARTISTIC TRAINING PROGRAM by MBIZO CHIRASHA: the Project seeks to capacitate and grow the creative knowledge of young people , arts leaders ,artists ,mid-career and activism communities ( pictures) and brochures,
- VULNERABLE COMMUNITY WRITING SKILLS PROGRAM- This a writing skills and talent development intervention meant to promote literacy culture and literary development in vulnerable communities in Zimbabwe , Africa and globe . The project started in eThekwini Municipality , Durban under the Area Based Management Unit of the City. The writing and talent development skills program result into publication of book collections , formation of writers clubs and reading clubs :
- a) Ink Community Writing Skills Development Intervention- the inaugural writing skills development training took place in Durban South Africa. Old women , young people and students participated in the 3 month writers courses curated and facilitated by Mbizo Chirasha , managed by Valhalla Arts and ABM Unit of the EThekwini Municipality in Durban . 30 participants wrote stories of their lives during training and their book collection is to be published by the Municipality during the HERITAGE MONTH , September in South Africa , the whole idea of the program is to complement the awarding of the Durban as a UNESCO City of Literature status through the Creative Cities Network and also that African communities communicate their voices through the literary culture . Africans must start reading ,learning and writing their own stories to further develop the reading , knowledge acquiring skills and freedom of expression.
- b) Livingstone (ZAMBIA) – Writing our tourism, the story of our land, writing for our birth right.
- c) Cape town , South Africa – Writing for Burn Survivors in collaboration effort between the Zimbabwe We Want Poetry Campaign and Campio Burns led by Beulah Klevindt for September 2018
- d) Malawi – In March 2019 , Mbizo Chirasha will run writing and reading skills training for rural communities of Nkhotankota in Malawi
- e) Zimbabwe – In May 2019 ,Mbizo Chirasha will be curating a WORD GUERILLAS Café Poetry Reading and Symposia( Writing for Social and Economic Change – resistance writing ).
- f) Cameroon – Writing for the Girl Child (Developing literary and creative skills for the girl child in Cameroon).
- g) Uganda (Remembering Taban Liyolong – the godfather of African poetry (Word Guerrillas Café Event) Poetry Reading and Talk Session.
GIRLCHILDCREATIVITY PROJECT 2010 to present (link) – Girl child creativity is a project designed to
mitigate under-representation and unbalanced
participation of young female writers/poets
in areas of creative writing, literature, literacy and poetry performance development. It further enhances the ability of the girl child to develop herself mentally – the motto is: freedom of mental media air waves for
community development. A creative nation is a developed nation. so far we have done motivational writer/poetry workshops with children homes , Centre’s and schools in Harare , we have done as well opinion sharing seminars with young girls , by the theme motivating creativity in girls , this have seen young girls sharing their minds experiences and other.
GIRLCHILD VOICES FIESTA (in collaboration with 100 Thousand Poets for Change- global)
News article by Kundai Marunya, Harare 24 News
By KUNDAI MARUNYA
Girl right advocate organization Girl Child Creativity (GCC) last night closed its week-long mentor ship program with their Voices Fiesta at the First Floor Gallery. More than 30 people, including school children, educators, artists and art lovers, attended the event.
Students from Vainona High, Budiriro 3 Primary and Vista Vision College showcased their talents along the theme of promoting the rights of girl children.
Students from Vista Vision College staged a mini theatre play, outlining how issues that affect women are often handled by men who do not understand them.
Their performance, which was filled with humor, managed to bring the audience’s attention to things that are often overlooked.
Budiriro primary school students brought to the table what they had learnt from legendary writer Aaron Chiunduramoyo. Their presentation of poetry and short stories in both English and Shona caused celebrated writer and journalist Tinashe Muchuri to break out in applause from the audience.
Muchuri said: “These children have showcased great talent especially the young girl who read to us a Shona short story. She was so good in using similes, imagery and metaphors that I will rest assured our language is in good hands.”
From Vainona High came students who recited poetry that tackled the decline in education standards at their own school, largely due to an unappreciated staff and naughty students.
The students, who had earlier in the week received mentoring from popular poet and human rights activist Robson ‘Shoez’ Lambada and celebrated photographer Kresiah Mkwazhi, really got the audience excited.
Vainona High student Rutendo Masunda, who was among the performers, said: “We had a great time during the mentorship program. We learnt a lot, including how to express ourselves using different mediums of art.”
Founded in 2011, GCC is aimed at mitigating the under-representation of young female artists and young girls in areas of creativity, creative writing, performance arts, readership and literacy cultural development.
GCC director Mbizo Chirasha said: “We have not made our programming as big as we would have wanted due to limited resources but we hope to grow as we continue to work with the girl child.”
Links, links, links links
- YOUNG WRITERS CARAVAN : The Young Writers Caravan in 2004 after my brief visit to Sweden as a Young Literary / book fair delegate courtesy of the Zimbabwe International Book Fair and SIDA in Harare . I gave talks , recited and performed my poetry at various spaces that included the Nordic African Institute , Rinkeby library , the Goteborg International Book African Sida Pavilion, the Swedish International Libraries Association , Swedish Writers UNION in 2003 . I met a lot of young creatives who inspired me to become proactive and start a rural schools literary and literacy culture intervention that we named YOUNG WRITERS CARAVAN . I Worked with young people in high schools to grow and create reading and writers clubs in schools to fight juvenile delinquency , drug addiction , complacency and ignorance through writing and arts training interventions.
- WOMEN OF RESILIENCE PROJECT(link) – girls , young women and women has been left behind in the rush of social media . Women coverage usually is based on negativity and disrespect. Usually media pontify women as sex tools, child making machines and domestic chores technicians. The creative energy and leadership attributes of women are usually underrated and unrecognised. They are a lot of women around the world who are doing great projects and who are mesmerizing social , economic , humanitarian and creative game changers. Women who have since defied all obstacles to reap their dreams and inspire other generations of the women communities. I decided to honour these women in politics , social change , economic development , media , arts , innovation ,religious , activism and humanitarianism through the personalities of inspiration blog journal where I profile and feature women of resilience and mothers of hope.
- MIOMBOPUBLISHING PROJECT (link) – It is difficult for young writers, poets and starters to get publishing platforms. The Miombo Publishing is a project that seeks to expose the rot in African political , economic and social governance through verse and prose ( Literature , book and poetry ) . The miombo Journal has so far featured , profiled and diarised more 100 aspiring and established writers/artists/poets from across the The blog- site also helped in the visibility of the Poets Free Zimbabwe.
- MBIZO CHIRASHA’s EXPERTISE:
- a) iterary Arts Projects Curator- Mbizo Chirasha has vast experience for organisation and curatorship of poetry festivals , reading clubs , writers clubs, writers in residences , writers and creative training courses. Chirasha is good on hosting and moderating Literary, Artistic and Arts Interventions on social media platforms. Mbizo Chirasha coordinates, compiles, and edits book projects for publishing.
- Interventionist- Mbizo Chirasha uses arts , creativity and literature( poetry and stories) projects to communicate societal issues that affect our various activities . He uses creative arts as catalytic interventions to educate , inform and shape communities . He create, designs and facilitates creative arts activism projects that messages HIV/AIDS issues, poverty alleviation, political change, human and gender rights, social change, literacy and literary culture development.
- c) Writer- in- Residence – Mbizo Chirasha is a blog writer , motivational writer , page- poet and stories writer . His capabilities and creative wisdom can be used in developing literary arts culture and writing/reading in libraries , youth organisations , cultural institutions , universities , arts centres ,political centres and NGO sector.
- Media -Relations/Publicity Attaché – Mbizo Chirasha works as a visibility strategist for individuals , private companies , diplomatic , educational ,political , social , creative and writers organisations. He uses both his wit and strategy to popularize brands , names and ideas through social media , international journals , reviews , websites and newspapers .
- Performance Poet / Spoken Word Artist – Mbizo Chirasha has greatly performed his poetry for diplomatic , cultural , creative , political and humanitarian activities across the world since the year 1999 , countries include Sweden , Egypt , Ghana , Tanzania , Malawi , Namibia , Zambia , Mozambique , Lesotho , Swaziland , Germany , South Africa , United States of America and He can perform his poetry in training sessions , conferences , workshops ,lecture rooms , diplomatic functions and business forums .
- Arts Activism Catalyst- Mbizo Chirasha is the Originator and Moderator of the Zimbabwe We Want poetry Campaign – a creative resistance and protest poetry project to foster the upholding of human rights ,promote freedom of expression , artistic freedom , gender rights and political change firstly in Zimbabwe and then Africa through poetry , essays and short story. The Campaign project is curated and moderated on Facebook / 100 Thousand Poets for PEACE- ZIMBABWE and writings ( poetry /stories) are published on Tuck Magazine ( International Magazine on politics, human rights and arts) and Miombo Publishing Journal.
- Published Writer and Page Poet – Mbizo CHIRASHA is an internationally anthologized writer and poet. His poetry , writings , profiles , blogs , features and political essays are extensively published in more than 500 literary reviews , poetry journals , writers sites, academic journals , presses and anthologies /collections in Zimbabwe , Africa and abroad . Mbizo has co-edited International book ,poetry and literary projects including Germany , Ghana , India and Nigeria . Chirasha is the Originator and Editor of the Zimbabwe We Want Poetry Campaign E-Book Collection Series . He coordinated, compiled and edited INSIDE DISGRACE-LAND – a creative resistance poetry collection that voices against the abuse of human rights , corruption , dictatorship , economic and political instability in Zimbabwe . He has a number of print and e -poetry collection published in his name.
- BIO – Data OF MBIZO CHIRASHA is Recipient of PEN Deutschland Exiled Writer Grant (2017) , an internationally anthologized poet , literary arts project curator , creative humanist , arts activism catalyst , blogs publisher and a Writer in Residence . He is the Solidarity member of GAPA( Global Arts and Political Alliance),the African Partner of the International Human Rights Arts Festival, the Resident Coordinator of 100 Thousand Poets for Change- Global, the Founder of Girl Child Creativity Project( 2010 to present) , founder/Creative Director of the Young Writers Caravan( 2003-2007), Facilitator/Curator of the Creative Leadership and Artistic Training Project for Africa( 2018- 2023) . African Contributor to the Table of Words Dermer Press International Poetry anthology. Solidarity Member of Global Alliance for Politics and Arts. African Participant to the 2014-2020 World Poetry Almanac Anthologies series in Mongolia. Co-Editor of German Africa Bilingual Collection with German International Translator Andreas Weiland in 2016 (http://www.street-voice.de/SV7/SVissue7.html).
He is the Word Press Publisher of thePersonalitiesofinspiration(www.personalitiesofinspiration.wordpress.com) and Miombo Publishing (www.miombopublishing.wordpress.com ).Chirasha is the Editor of the Brave Voices Poetry journal (Journal for political poetry and creative resistance), he is the Originator of the Zimbabwe We Want Poetry Campaign. He writes for the Tuck Magazine- (the International magazine on Arts Human Rights and Politics.).Mbizo Chirasha is the editor of the E-Poetry Anthology on Zimbabwean political instability “INSIDE DISGRACELAND”.He Co-edited , edited , compiled, contributed and written several books , collections and anthologies across theglobewww.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbizo_Chirashame.facebook.com/mbizochirasha, me.google.com/mbizochirasha,