Anila Varfi (Albania)
University of Fine Arts | Tirana, Albania 1990 – 1994
Bachelor of Arts in Acting
Languages: English, Albanian, Italian
Radio “Tirana” | Tirana, Albania 1993 – 2003
Journalist for the Social Cultural Programme
• Realized hundreds of live radio reports discussing contemporary social issues of Albanian society.
• Screenwriter of “Rruga me Pisha” a radio ‘soap opera’ in collaboration with BBC
Radio Televisioni Shqiptar | Tirana, Albania 2007 – 2010
Director of TV Programming
• Planned programs from start to completion including deadlines and milestones.
• Developed and approved budgets for new TV programs.
• Directed the television channels’ daily schedule.
Radio Televisioni Shqipetar | Tirana, Albania 2008 — 2014
Moderator of “Takim me Kinemane”
• Created the TV show “Takim me Kinemane” (Meeting with the Cinema). Also wrote the screenplay for the show.
University of Fine Arts | Tirana, Albania 2008 — ongoing
Professor of TV Directing and Film Editing
• Part time professor from 2008 to 2017.
• Currently a full time professor, since 2017 administrating Bachelor and Masters degrees.
Durres International Film Summerfest | Durres, Albania 2008 — 2014
Founder and Artistic Director
• Directed Durres IFS through 7 editions. Each edition with more than 40 films in competition for the coveted “Golden Gladiator”.
• Notable guests include Francis Ford Coppola, Jan Harlan, Claudia Cardinale, Miki Manolovic, Rade Serbedzija, Lech Majewski, and Fanny
Ardant to name a few.
Radio Televisioni Shqiptar | Tirana, Albania 2010 — 2015
Producer at Department of Shows and Movies
• Directed and produced a docu-series “Rruge Pa Rruge” (2010)
• Directed and produced the historical documentary “Tedeschini Dynasty” for “RTSH Satelit”. (2012)
• Directed and produced the documentary “Fisniku i Muzikes” dedicated to the composer Agim Prodani. (2014)
Author 2018 — 2020
• Wrote and published two poetry books, “Hyj nder Yj” and “Bisede ne Absurd”
Filmmaking 2004 – 2015
• Realized first TV documentary “Jete Pezull” and was nominated for “Best Low-budget Documentary” at “Prix Europa” in Berlin (2004).
“Jete Pezull” also competes at TIFF Tirana.
• Actress in “I Dashur Armik” a movie by Gjergj Xhuvani (2004).
• KULT Academy Awards nominated “Jete Pezull” for “Best Documentary of the Year” (2005)
• Competed at “International Film Festival” in Iowa,USA and “River Run Film Festival” in North Caroline,USA with “Jete Pezull” (2005)
• Directed a documentary TV series of six parts “Rruge pa Rruge” for Albania’s National TV. (2006)
• Directed the documentary “Maria Callas- Pergjithmone me ne” (2008)
• Directed in collaboration with the TV station “Vizion Plus” the documentary “Albania dhe ujerat” (2009)
• The first Albanian woman accepted as a member of the European Film Academy (EFA) in Berlin. (2015)
• Acted in the upcoming movie “Unë dhe Millosheviçi” alongside Gerard Depardieu (2020)
THE DREAM CHASER
HE wanted to quit all and leave…
But not with the charred soul of his
Tangled in the tentacles of nothingness.
It’s day-nights burnt to bits
As the lightning of pain stroke in the mad storm.
He wanted to quit the hours, weeks and beyond lives
Which hideously, drip, drip poisoning his tomorrow.
But to see the day’s joy and shine
In the eyes of every child.
He was not asking for the Moon
He was after the basic thing on earth
He was chasing the dream.
When the golden birds of these dreams
Nested under his eyes.
Then he would feel beyond eternity.
The dreaming child of liberty.
VEÇ ANDRRAT DONTE
T’gjitha po donte me i braktis’…
Me shpirt të pajagosur s’mundej me u nis!
Asgjaja e lidhte me tentakula hidre,
Ditë-netët me ia djegë e gris
Me rrufe dhimbjeje në tërbim stuhish!
Orët, javët, stinët donte me i braktis përtej jetëve,
Që tinzëzisht shtrydhin farmak mbi të nesërmet!
Asgja nuk donte!
Veç shendit të ditëve
Në sytë e fëmijëve.
Asgja të pamundur s’po donte,
Veç gjasë ma t’thjeshtë t’kësaj bote:
E kur oborrit të syve të tij,
Të uleshin zogj të artë andrrash,
Atëherë do të ndjehej tej përjetësisë,
Fëmija andrrimtar i lirisë!
AS IN THE LAST DAY
If Lady Death calls for me tonight…
Spare your tears for me
Cherish tomorrow as we did yesterday,
Play as we used to.
And follow your dreams
With no sorrow
I will keep my vows
I’ll be there.
When you walk the streets every morning
And your face strangely is frozen by the breeze,
that very moment, my gentle caress you’ll feel
Have a glass of wine on me in the evening
And share your joy with the stars.
Meet me at the mad ball dancing
Don’t look for me in your dreams,
No pleas to join them, I know
When you will be overwhelmed
And I need to come.
Cheers to the freedom of love,
And all its virtue-made jewellery.
Be happy and live like it was my last day.
SI NË DITËN E FUNDIT
Nëse sonte shkoj me zonjën vdekje…
Mos derdh lot për mua,
Gëzo sikur bashkë gëzonim…
Luaj me fjalë siç luanim…
Hyr rutinës të së përditshmes,
Ashtu, krejt pa brenga…
Ti e di…
Besën ta dhashë:
Me ty do të jem…aty!
Dil udhëve t’qytetit
E lëre flladin e mëngjesit të ta akullojë fytyrën…
Dhe dije ,
atij çasti po të ledhatoj.
Netëve mbushe një gotë verë
E me yjt gëzoju!
“N’vallzim të çartun m’tako!!”
Ëndrrave mos më thirr, mos më kërko…
Unë vetë po e di:
“Kur malli ka me t’pik e duhet me ardh’…
Gëzoju lirisë s’dashnisë
Që me tan’ xhevahiret e virtytit të stolis.
Gëzohu e rro… sikur ditën e fundit me mua!
THE UNSUNG WORDS
I bit my words the other day,
Down the dark alley to my soul
they made their way.
I poured all my naked thoughts
Into a glass of wine,
Sip by sip and drop by drop,
Hoping to drown my sorrows.
But they climbed back
to this troubled soul of mine.
Yesterday I did the same,
Not a single word I uttered.
Today I dared to speak to the world,
But words have been washed away in tears and despair.
I dare LIFE to try this cocktail,
With the words we never said.
And be on a high and sail.
Here, there and everywhere.
FJALËT QË S’U THANË
Pardje fjalët i kafshova,
i kapërdiva në shpirt në terr,
Mendimet nudo i trazova në një gotë ven…
Aty i mbyta të gjitha
E prapë me gllënjka i piva…
Dje fjalët sërish i kafshova…
Sot botës guxova t’i flas,
Po fjalët ishin shkrirë në lot e maraz.
me fjalët që nuk u thanë
Dehu … o jetë,
këtu e matanë!
©A.V- COPYRIGHT RESTRICTED April 2020
Translated by Gezim Guri